Hello Birders

It finally seems like spring at Point Pelee.  We've seen lots of new
arrivals in the last week - many that we would have expected before this
week.

The Tip has been hopping with woodpeckers the last few days -
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers are all over the park, Northern Flickers have
returned in good numbers and Red-bellied Woodpeckers have been active as
well.  Eastern Pheobes have been found in most open areas in the park.

We're starting to see lots of Chipping Sparrows and some Field Sparrows
mixed in.  The only warbler other than Yellow-rumped that has been
reported was a Black-throated Green on the Woodland Nature Trail
yesterday.  Barn and Tree Swallows, as well as Purple Martins are present
in good numbers.

A male King Eider was noted at the Tip on Saturday, flying by.

In other news – some big changes are happening in Sparrow Field this
spring.  As part of the park’s habitat restoration program, several
research plots have been created in the park, to test methods of savannah
restoration.  The most noticeable of these is Sparrow Field.  Starting
today, vegetation removal will begin in a significant portion of this part
of the park.  A control area will also be established in Sparrow Field, to
allow park ecologists to monitor the effectiveness of the methods used.

What does this mean for birders?  For short periods of time in early
April, there will be days with limited access to Sparrow Field, as
clearing work is going on.  This will be wrapped up by mid-month, and
seasonal birding footpaths will be flagged and ready for birders.  Some of
the existing seasonal footpaths will be re-routed, but will not hinder
access to the East Beach or Post Woods.  We can't wait to see what shows
up in Sparrow Field this spring!

For more information about the restoration program, please contact the
park at:
519-322-2365 or pelee.i...@pc.gc.ca

Good birding everyone!
Sarah Rupert