Today Ian Cannell, Margaret Liubavicius, Jay Peterson and I went up to the
Carden Alvar north of Kirkfield to try and hear the reported Yellow Rail but
alas and yes alack we did not hear it though we tried hard twice during the
morning, but following are some of the nice birds we did find along some of the
roads up there.

Common Loon, Pied-billed Grebe, American Bitterns, Great Blue Herons (on
nests), Wood Ducks, Blue-winged Teal, Ring-necked Ducks, Hooded and Common
Mergansers, Turkey Vultures, Bald Eagle (on nest), Northern Harriers, Ruffed
Grouse (2 on roads), Wild Turkeys, Virginia Rails, Soras, Common Moorhens,
Sandhill Cranes (6), Upland Sandpipers, Wilson’s Snipes, (many), American
Woodcock, Caspian Tern, Belted Kingfishers, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Northern
Flickers, Pileated Woodpeckers - 4 adults, maybe 5 (and at least 2 chicks being
fed at a nest hole), Eastern Phoebes, Common Ravens, House, Winter and Marsh
Wrens, Eastern Bluebirds, Brown Thrashers, Loggerhead Shrikes (8 at 4 locations
including the pair west of Bluebird box #10 on Wylie Road), Northern
Waterthrush (6), Eastern Towhees, American Tree, Chipping, Field, Vesper,
Savannah and Grasshopper Sparrows, Eastern Meadowlarks (many), Purple Finches,
and Pine Siskins.

We also saw 5 Porcupines, Deer, Muskrats and Beavers.

A cool drizzly day but well worth the trip even without the Yellow Rail

Note:- Most of the dirt roads we travelled Have many pot holes but they are all
passable and we did see a grader working on McNamee Road and there is lots of
water in many of the fields and wood lots along the roads.

Rockview Road south of the road into the dump had much household garbage dumped
in the ditches and forest edge, a shame to see.

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill, Ontario

Directions:-
CARDEN ALVAR INCLUDING WYLIE ROAD / THE SEDGE WREN MARSH / PROSPECT ROAD ALONG
WITH A FEW AREAS SOUTHWEST OF KIRKFIELD

  Wylie Road is north of Kirkfield in Victoria County and Kirkfield itself is
on County Road 48 east of Highway 12 and well north of Whitby and about 130 km
from Toronto if you follow the roads and not a Crow.

From the centre of Kirkfield go north on County Road 6 passing under the Lift
Lock on the Trent Canal and drive about 2 ½ km further north to where the road
curves left or west. On this curve and on your right is McNamee Road, turn
right here onto McNamee and drive east for about 300 yards and you will be at
Wylie Road. This road is about 9 ½ km long ending at Alvar Road (a T
intersection). Birding can be good on Alvar Road as well, either way.

The Sedge Wren Marsh is about 5 ½ km up Wylie Road, you can’t miss it as it has
the only bridge along the road. Park just to the south of and overlooking the
bridge and walk the road. Birding is good all along the road and I find that
the best birding happens when you park and walk both ways a km or two from your
auto.

This is a narrow road with little traffic but be sure to park in such a way as
to not block the road or at the gravelled parking areas that you will find at
several places along the road as you don’t want to rile up the locals. This is
all private property but there really is no need to leave the road, nor should
you. Please respect the property rights of the land owners.

Other roads to check in the area are Shrike, Curl’s, Dalrymple, Eldon Station,
Rockview, Doyle, Palestine, Creek View, and McNamee Road, etc.

PS

Down Rockview Road just west of Kirkfield on your right along County Road 48.
Past the dump road (on your right) you will come to a wet wood lot that
straddles the road. This is a great place for N. Waterthrush. We heard and saw
7 there on May 5/01 and May 4/02. We continue to find the N. Waterthrushes
here. Also along here you should find Upland Sandpiper and Grasshopper Sparrow.

Prospect Road Marsh

Continue south on Rockview Road to Eldon Station Road (the next road) turn
right (west) and drive to Prospect Rd. Turn right (north) and drive up to a
large marsh. Here you could find many Marsh Wrens along with Sora, Virginia
Rail, Common Moorhen,  American Bittern, Least Bittern and Green Heron and
watch for Osprey, Northern Harrier and Turkey Vulture. If you continue north on
this road you will come upon another small marsh and pond just short of County
Road 48. Of coarse most of the roads in this and the Wylie Road area can be
very productive and it is not a stretch saying you could spend a whole day in
the area, I have and do.