Good Evening Birders,

I spent the better part of this weekend "catching up" in Algonquin Park.
There were many birds to see and the weather was beautiful, AND - no
blackflies out..yet.

Of the numerous times I'd seen the spectacle, today's SPRUCE GROUSE show was
the best I've seen in my life - three males were displaying alongside one
another near the crossroads of Arowhon Rd. and the Old Railway Bed. They
preformed flutter-flights, tail-fanning displays and drummed for over an
hour in the morning. One flew right at me and fluttered to my feet! Get out
and enjoy this show while it lasts, folks, they won't be doing this for much
longer!

Warblers were back home with YELLOW-RUMPED, BLACK-THROATED GREEN, PINE,
NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, PARULA and YELLOWTHROATS all singing away on
territory. More are on their way.

Some other interesting birds included a SANDHILL CRANE this morning over the
airfield, as well as a NORTHERN HARRIER yesterday. STARLINGS were also
present, one at West Rose Lake on the railway bed and five at the airfield
(These are somewhat of a big deal in the Park!) GREEN-WINGED TEAL, a RUSTY
BLACKBIRD and a LESSER YELLOWLEGS were on the mudflats at West Rose Lake,
which is now slowly draining as that once very picturesque beaver dam near
the bridge has broken. An early EASTERN KINGBIRD was there today too.

GRAY JAYS were present, but not obvious, near the locked gate on the railway
bed. They're becoming secretive now as they're tending nests.

In terms of mammals, Moose never fail at this time of year - I had six while
driving down the Highway to the Visitor Centre from the West Gate.

Good Birding,

Lev Frid
Toronto, ON

Directions:
Algonquin Park is three hours north of Toronto, via Highways 400, 11 and 60.
Follow the signs, which start in Toronto on Highway 400.

Kilometre markers along Highway 60 in the Park go from the West Gate (km 0)
to near the East Gate (km 56). Get your park permit and the park tabloid
(with a map of birding locations mentioned here) at the gates.

The Visitor Centre at km 43 has recent bird sightings and information.