Hello Ontbirders.

Our warbler du jour put on a command performance at the Rondeau Visitor
Centre this morning.  At 7:10 am, the Yellow-throated Warbler fly-catched
for 15 minutes about the treetops, then descended to the suet feeder.
Yesterday, it was seen at both the Visitor Centre and at various cottages
along Lakeshoe Road, both to the north and south of the VC.

Good warblers were reported from a number of trails this morning.
Highlights included Blue-winged on South Point Trail; and Northern Parula on
Bennett Road, at the Pony Barn and on Maintenance Loop.

Other interesting songbirds include White-eyed Vireo on South Point Trail
and Yellow-throated Vireo on the Maintenance loop.

The Merlin was seen again on South Point Trail this morning, near post 7.  A
Willet was on the beach east of the Visitor Centre at 8:15 am.  A single
dead tree near the tip of South Point Trail hosted a pair of Red-bellied
Woodpeckers entering a cavity as well as a Northern Flicker male peeking out
of a different cavity.  A woodpecker condo, apparently.

Outside the park, a Surf Scoter was seen on Rose Beach Line across from
Wildwood yesterday at 4 pm.  At the Blenheim Sewage Lagoons yesterday, there
was one Wilson's Phalarope.  Observers also saw a Horned Grebe, but there
were no reports of the Eared Grebe seen previously.

Proud winners of the Big Day Birding Competition were Steve Charbonneau and
Mac McAlpine.  Within a 24 hour period on May 7- 8, they observed a
remarkable 142 species, all within Rondeau Provincial Park!  Congratulations
to our winners and all of the participants.

I would like to thank all of the birders who have taken the time to report
their sightings to us, and help to make these Ontbirds reports as
comprehensive as possible!

Rondeau Provincial Park welcomes birders!  We have morning coffee and snacks
waiting for early birders.  Our Bird Hikes and Birders' Breakfast start
Thursday May 5 and go through to Victoria Day.  I will lead a guided hike
twice daily from Thursday May 5 to Monday May 23, inclusive (fee $5), as
follows:

Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Thursday at 7:30 am and 1:00 pm Tuesday and
Friday at 7:30 am and 7:00 pm; as well as Wednesday at 7:30 am.

All of the 7:30 am and 1:00 pm hikes listed above will meet at the Visitor
Centre.  The 7:00 pm hikes will meet at the entrance to the Marsh Trail.  A
second hike on Wednesday at 1:00 pm will meet at the Blenheim Sewage
Lagoons.

The Friends of Rondeau will provide a Birders' Breakfast/Lunch for a small
donation (coffee, tea, bagels, soups and treats) daily from 7:00 am to 2:00
pm at the Visitor Centre.

There will also be a special new program on Saturday May 14, at 7:00 pm.
Peter Middleton of Quest Nature Tours will give a presentation entitled
"Gardens and Birds."  He will focus on how to do your gardening
ecologically.  Tickets are available from the Visitor Centre.

A second special presentation that day will be offered by renowned birder
and nature photographer Jean Iron.  She will be giving us an in-depth look
at northbound shorebirds.  You had better pay attention, too - this is an
interactive program and there WILL be a test afterwards!  Contact the
Visitor Centre for additional information.

Good birding!
Steve