Ontbirders,

I received an update on the birds from Dwayne Murphy, who found the group
today on the wires near the power station. Dwayne was kind enough to upload my
photo's onto his site, along with some better photo's he took today.

The photo's can be viewed here...

http://dwaynejava.blogspot.com/2011/08/western-kingbirds-in-windsor.html

BTW - I would be interested in opinions on these juveniles from observers that
may have had some experience with Western-type hybrids. I should say that,
although it seems more credible that these juveniles are the product of a
Eastern x Western pairing, I have yet to see an Eastern interact with the group.

Although the juveniles certainly look far different from juvenile Western's I
have seen, both in life and on the web, I wonder whether or not they are beyond
the extreme of variation for that species? There are a few examples on the web
that are close, including pale tail bands and gray uppers and mostly whitish
unders.

Also, if anyone has or has access to, proven examples of Eastern x Western
hybrid juveniles [photo's] I would be most interested in seeing them. My search
thus far has been fruitless and it seems as though this pairing is poorly
understood.

Cheers,
 James Holdsworth, Biological Consulting Services
14 Marian St,
RR#1 Woodstock, On, N4S-7V6
[519]537-2027
226-228-0093 [NEW][cell]