____________________________________
 From: rhettbutle...@hotmail.com
To: geneseebird...@geneseo.edu
Sent:  8/24/2011 10:08:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: [GeneseeBirds-L]  Black-bellied Whistling Duck - Randolph -
Cattaraugus County

This afternoon I was able to confirm the presence of a  Black-bellied
Whistling Duck on Swamp Rd. in Randolph (Not sure if it falls in  the town of
Randolph or the town of Conewango), in Cattaraugus County. This  bird was first
reported to me at 9:00am by a friend of mine in the DEC who was  in the
area. I arrived at about 1:00pm and was only about half way back to the  Osprey
nest when the bird flew. The extensive white wing stripe and black  flight
feathers make this bird very hard to miss in the air. Eventually, it
settled on the edge of a group of Mallards and gave great, though somewhat
distant, views. It flew a total of three times in less than an hour so if you
don't have a scope you still might catch it in the air. A digiscoped photo can
be seen below:

_https://picasaweb.google.com/josephcmitchell/2011#5644597231641354770_
(https://picasaweb.google.com/josephcmitchell/2011#5644597231641354770)

Directions:
>From  Randolph, take Rte. 394 west and turn right on Swamp Rd. Proceed
about three  quarters of a mile north, you'll cross a small bridge and there is
a small  parking area on the left (west). Park here and walk the dike out to
the Osprey  nest. Look to the right (north) and the bird was with Mallards
in and around  the small grassy "islands". The link/coordinates below,
provided with many  thanks by Jim Osterlund, shows the exact location of the
Osprey Nest (the  small round pond with a grassy dot in the middle) and can be
zoomed out to  show Swamp Rd. and its relation to Randolph (Though the Google
Map says  "Borden St. Ext" the actual street sign does say Swamp Rd.).

_42.174783,-78.98899 - Google  Maps_
(http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.174783,-78.98899&ll=42.17491,-78.989033&spn=0.00332,0.006968&sll=42.173922,-78.98
6228&sspn=0.00166,0.003484&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=6&z=18)

My thanks to both Pat Coate and Bill  Watson for posting this bird earlier
as I did not get home until later this  evening. I know the one call I sent
out didn't give my phone number very well  so here it is again.
716-604-7701. Feel free to call with any  questions.

Also of note was an adult Bald Eagle sitting  far off in a dead tree. The
pair of Ospreys began calling while I was there  and circling closer to the
nest. At that point I noticed a small falcon take  flight from the nearby
woods. On closer inspection it turned out to be a  Merlin that promptly
escorted both Osprey out of the area! The grass on  the dike is a few inches
high
and near the Osprey nest I encountered a large  (presumably) water snake that
beat a hasty retreat. The area is dry but maybe  bring boots anyway!

At the Countryside Sand and Gravel ponds, to  the north on Rte. 62, there
were at least a dozen Semipalmated Sandpipers and  as many Least Sandpipers
at the pond by the main gate. A couple  Semipalmated Plovers and a Great
Egret rounded things out.

Joe  Mitchell

=