Good evening.

This afternoon Ian Cannell, Jay Peterson and I decided to nip on over to the
Long Point Area after viewing the Razorbill and White Pelican at Niagara-on-the
Lake.

In a field in the Long Point area on the west side of  Hwy 59 just north of 1st
Conc. Rd (second road north of Front Rd) we stopped to look at 200+ Sandhill
Cranes (first of approx. 300 Cranes), 100+ Tundra Swans, 250+ Canada geese and
300+ Ring-billed Gulls.

From here we turned right onto Lakeshore Rd (County Rd 42 and in a field just
west of the Hahn Unit of Big Creek Marsh (address #2197) we spotted 22 Snow
Geese (blues and whites), 1 adult Ross’s Goose, several hundred Tundra Swans
and hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls.

After visiting Old Cut Woods where the only bird of note that we found was a
Red-bellied Woodpecker (it was getting late) we decided to head for home. Just
before entering the vehicle we were approached and told about an adult Snowy
Owl sitting on the roof of the Bird Studies Canada building on Front Rd
(approx. 1/2 mile east of Hwy 59) so we went over and found the bird, first of
the fall for us.

We then headed for home via the Hagersville area where we did a quick stop and
found 1 Short-eared and 3 Eastern Screech Owls.

Other birds seen on our travels were many White-winged Scoters, 8 Red-throated
and 1 Common Loon, Horned Grebes, Hooded Mergansers, Little, Lesser
black-backed and  Iceland Gulls, Tufted Titmouse, N. Flicker, E. Bluebirds, N.
Mockingbirds, several A. Kestrels, many A. Coots, Pied-billed Grebe, Belted
Kingfisher, Swamp, Song and White-throated Sparrows, 50+ Snow Buntings and 35+
White-winged Crossbills.

The buntings and crossbills were seen before 8 am at the mouth of the Niagara
River.

Direction:-

LONG POINT AREA - CENTERED ON PORT ROWAN

Port Rowan is southwest of Hamilton, to reach it you can drive south on Hwy 6
from Hamilton, passing through Hagersville and turning right, west in Jarvis
onto Hwy 3, drive to Simcoe and turn left, south on Hwy 24 and follow this to
Hwy 59, ( it curves to the west south of Simcoe) and your in the Long Point
Area.

Turn left (south) on Hwy 59 at Hwy 24 and Port Rowan is straight down Hwy 59
(about 6 kms) on County Rd 42 (Lakeshore Rd), Big Creek Marsh, etc. are just a
little further south of County Rd 42.

Or you can exit Hwy 403 just west of Brantford. Exit at Hwy 24 South at Exit 91
and drive south through Simcoe and follow it to Hwy 59, ( it curves to the west
south of Simcoe) and your in the Long Point Area.

The wood lots, fields, marshes etc. are north, south, east and west of Port
Rowan.

Norm Murr
303-48 Laverock Ave.
Richmond Hill, Ontario