I find it hard to believe that the Smew has not been seen since I viewed it from the harbour parking lot at 11:30 am this morning. I had to attend a CBC on Tuesday (it was not easy) so Wednesday was my first opportunity. I viewed the bird inside the breakwalls at distances from 10 - 100 meters. It spent some time diving, resurfacing at distance but was easy to pick-up. It reminds me of a small merganser and is slightly larger than a Long-tailed Duck. If within 100 meters you can spot it without bins.

Directions exit highway 401 south at Brock St. in Whitby (exit 410) and travel south the lake. I saw birders before the parking lot.

--
Mark Cranford
Mississauga, Ont.

mark.cranford at rogers dot com