What came close to being an iced-out affair yesterday turned into a good count
for this area north of Toronto. Sixteen participants had a cumulative total of
50 species, which ties for 3rd best in the 14 years of the count - that is
above our average of 46 species.  A first-ever American Coot brings the
historical species total to 93 species.  A RW Blackbird was a nice surprise
and, for the 4th consecutive year, we found a small group of White-crowned
Sparrows wintering in the Holland Marsh. Other highlights included two Snowy
Owls, four Red-bellied Woodpeckers, six Northern Shrikes, two Northern
Harriers, 30+ Pine Siskins, 30+ Horned Larks, and a Merlin. Notable misses
for the count were Rough-legged Hawk and Ruffed Grouse.

Ron Fleming, Newmarket

Bradford is halfway between Toronto and Barrie along Hwy. 400.