Happy New Year All,

After completing our section of the Port Colborne CBC, Jean and I went to Port
Weller to search for the Snowy Owl and the King Eider. Same result as Norm
Murr's post, no Snowy Owl or King Eider after birding along the East Pier for 2
hours (3-5 pm). As we started our hike, two birders returning informed us that
they did not see the owl, but did observe the King Eider.
We did see one Red-throated Loon, one Common Loon, and 2 dozen Double-crested
Cormorants (roosting in trees on the West Pier) in the Welland Canal.
Directions-courtesy of Norm Murr

PORT WELLER EAST SIDE

>From the Hamilton direction exit the QEW Highway at exit # 43 (Niagara Street)
>and drive north across the QEW and up Niagara St. to Lakeshore Road. Turn
>right (east) on Lakeshore and cross the Welland Canal bridge and immediately
>after crossing the bridge turn left (north) on Broadway. Continue up Broadway
>until you bump in to the lake and you will see a small parkette on your left
>with a small parking lot. Park here (it is safer here than at the gate at the
>start of the trail) and walk to the gate at the entrance to the marina (it
>looks like a prison camp gate). At the gate follow the small trail along the
>fence to your left and in about 100 yards you will be at the gate at the start
>of the main trail (Seaway Haulage Road). From this gate you walk straight
>ahead for about 2 km to the lake and lighthouse checking the trees and bushes
>along the way.

Bob Highcock and Jean HampsonSt. Catharines, ON