Ontbirders,

My last winter list update was at the beginning of February, detailed the 215
bird species that had been recorded in Ontario this winter. In the past 2 weeks
an additional 6 species were added, bring the total up to 221 species. This is
easily the highest total we have had since the winter list has been officially
compiled and possibly the highest total ever recorded by birders in Ontario.
This will be my last update until the final results are tallied.

The new birds, with the first date listed in brackets, are:
Blue-winged Teal (January 1): 2 birds seen with 320 Green-winged Teal on the
St. Clair CBC
Virginia Rail (January 18): a dead bird found dead on a road north of St.
Williams
Gyrfalcon (January 25): several birds seen. One in Sudbury and another in
eastern Ontario. The E. Ontario bird was seen near Crysler, and possibly the
same bird was seen several days later in Ottawa.
Band-tailed Pigeon (February 4): Only the 3rd winter record that I am aware of.
It came to a feeder for 3 days in Bracebridge. Many birders were able to see it
thanks to the gracious homeowners.
White-winged Dove (late January?): Still present in North Bay, has been coming
to a feeder for several weeks. I'm still working on getting the first date.
Yellow-throated Warbler (February 1): I don't have any details other than a
photo of this bird, apparently taken at a feeder in Windsor.

I have send the list to Blake Maybank and hopefully he will post the results on
the website soon. A link to the webpage:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/maybank/other/onwinter.htm

There are not very many possible species left, though we still are missing
Eurasian Wigeon and Yellow-headed Blackbird. Perhaps an early Tree Swallow or
Eared Grebe will be found at the end of the month?

If anyone has heard of sightings of any missing species, just shoot me an email.

Josh Vandermeulen
Guelph, Ontario

joshvandermeu...@live.ca
519-222-5420 (cell)