Subject: [Ontbirds] Smew on the Great Lakes
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:00:20 -0400

Ross (and all),

To keep this discussion in proper perspective, I would like to question the
following statement that you just made:

"I am always surprised that so many waterfowl are accepted as genuine vagrants
so readily. ( Barnacle Geese, Garganey, Baikal Teal etc.)"

Are you referring to Ontario, or even nearby areas with this statement?  And
when you say "accepted" who are you referring to?

As for Ontario, here is the status of the mentioned species per the Ontario
Bird Records Committee:

BARNACLE GOOSE -- the only bird the OBRC has EVER accepted as wild is one that
was shot circa November 20, 2005, at Baie Des Atocas, Prescott and
Russell Counties, that had a band indicating that it had been banded as a
juvenile in Scotland.  Many other submissions to the OBRC over the years have
ALL been rejected on the basis of questionable origin.

GARGANEY -- 4 records have been accepted by the OBRC, as pertaining to wild
birds; this is probably the most migratory duck in the world (very
long-distance migrant), and all four occurred in Ontario when wild (migrating)
birds would be expected (date range: April 18 to May 15).

BAIKAL TEAL -- the OBRC has never accepted any occurrence as pertaining to a
wild bird; in fact, the OBRC has only reviewed one report ever, and it was not
accepted since wild status was deemed questionable:  March 31, 1979 at Carlsbad
Spring, Ottawa R.M.

"ETC." -- I would be interested to know what other species you are referring to.

Thus the OBRC does not routinely accept all waterfowl reports as implied.
Birders, on the other hand, are at liberty to accept  whatever they want for
their personal lists.  But for a healthy discussion to take place on this
subject, we should first lay out the facts.

I will not comment on Smew at this time, since records are pending.

thanks for your input,

Alan Wormington,
Assistant to OBRC Secretary

Hi all,
     Not wanting to be a  "buzz kill" on the two  Smew seen this winter as far
as a list bird,  I  think they should be considered  a bird of questionable
origin.  As a thought it may be quite possible that they are the same bird, or
not.  The one picture I saw of  the Whitby? bird, flying away, as I  recall , I
think was  an adult bird.  Smew now are in full colour and would have been  for
a number of weeks.  Same bird? Who knows.  I am always surprised that so many
waterfowl are accepted as genuine vagrants so readily. ( Barnacle Geese,
Garganey, Baikal Teal etc.) Many are fairly common in captive waterfowl
collections and birds do escape.  Smew is one of them.  This is not generally
due to neglect or mismanagement but ususally adverse weather conditions like
ice storms, wet snow etc.  which collapse waterfowl enclosures etc. Right now
Smew are worth 5 to $ 600 a pair so  no one wants to see them flying away. I
know of 2 male Smew escaping last March in  S.W. Ontario.  Around the Great
Lakes we have Ontario, Quebec, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania etc., all with
people who keep Smew in captivity.  Is  there a trend of birds showing up on
east coast or west coast of the continent? No.  Wouldn't they show up there
first?  So, we are all in control of our bird lists and these could be genuine
wild birds so you will all have to judge on your own.  (check for a band or  in
U.S. birds a band or a clipped off hind toe on the right foot)  Good luck.
Anyone wishing  to discuss this further I  would be happy too, so just email me
privately.  ( I think we would all be amazed at how many people in Toronto keep
Hummingbirds)

Ross Snider
Ingersoll, Ont.

53 Year Old Mom Looks 33