Hi Ontbirders:

At Mud Lake, in the pond just off Casssel's Road at the main entrance....there
were 4 pairs of Wood Ducks and maybe a straggler or two as well.  As you walk
along the main trail further on....the first open water area on the left side,
I see a Black-Crowned Night Heron on a regular basis.  Thought I saw one near
the wood bridge the other day but it was from far away.

If you visit Petrie Island and the walking trails there, keep an eye out for
tent caterpillars (you see the large cocoons...looks like gigantic spider
webs....wrapped around branches...with the tent caterpillars inside).  Keep
track of where you spot these.  During the month of June...perhaps from the
second week of June to late June.....Black-billed Cuckoos have been seen and
photographed feeding on these caterpilars (from what I have been told) for the
past several years there.  Petrie Island is also a great place to see a number
of nesting birds.  Some have seen Black Terns there recently.  Thanks.

W. Hum
http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/some_recent_shots

Directions:

Petrie Island is easy to get to.  Take the 417 east and go toward Orleans at
the split.  Go past Orleans exit until Trim Road (lights there on the highway).
 Stay left and turn left at Trim...drive over the causeway and onto Petrie
Island.

Mud Lake:  Located on Cassels Road.  Britannia Yacht Club on the left and Mud
lake on the right side of Cassels Road.