Angela Martin and I birded the Verner and Warren sewage lagoons yesterday
morning.
While driving along LeClair Road in West Nipissing, we found 6 Black-bellied
Plovers, one in non-breeding plumage, and 6 Ruddy Turnstones.
The Verner lagoons, south of Hwy 17 about 1 KM on Hwy 64 and then east on
Olivier Road, held 7 Black-bellied Plovers, probably included the 6 seen
earlier as that many flew in while we watched, 4 Semi-palmated Plovers, 3
Semi-palmated Sandpipers, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 3 Gadwall and 6 pairs of
Northern Shovelers.
The Warren lagoons, north from Hwy 17 on Hwy 539, east on Rutland St to Warren
Road and south to where it meets Mangan Lane, a dirt road that leads to the
lagoons.  The first lagoon held 3 American Widgeon, 4 Northern Shovelers, 7
Gadwall, 4 Mallard, 2 pairs of Blue-winged Teal and 1 Redhead.  The second
lagoon held 1 male Blue-winged Teal, 3 male Wood Ducks, many Northern
Shovelers, Mallards, Gadwall and American Widgeon.
Both lagoons are posted for trespassing, but the gates are open and the berms
are very drivable.
Kevin Shackleton