Hello fellow birders,

I have been checking the sod farms & fields between Alliston & Beeton 3 - 4
times a week in the last few weeks.  There were a few black bellied plovers on
the 11th line, on the south side just east of the Tottenham Rd a week ago.  The
field they were in dried out rather quickly & I have seen nothing noteworthy
since then & not reportable.

On the North side of the 11th line, almost the entire length, the fields have
been harvested & flattened creating huge mud flats.  A smaller field on the
south side by the Tottenham Rd has been left in the same condition.  This field
is where half a dozen black bellied plovers & pectoral sandpipers were located
last week.  Yesterday all of these fields were wet but not saturated & without
birds.  Today I went back at 4PM after much rain overnight & today & the entire
stretch between the Tottenham Rd & Sideroad 10 is now ideal habitat for
shorbirds.  There were hundreds of Peeps, Greater & Lesser Yellowlegs, Black
Bellied Plovers, Pectoral Sandpipers, Killdeer, Gulls, Ducks & many more I
couldn't identify as a downpour hit with a vengance.  Just before it hit I was
almost certain I had a Whimbrel.  I did not have my scope out, I was still in
my car in an Oh Wow mode so am unable to confirm the Whimbrel.  It had the
right Jizz, size, shape &
 that long downturned bill, Whimbrel was my first thought but without the
scope I will not confirm it.  It was in the field immediately east of firelane
6300 about half way back.

This habitat is large & will probably remain great for Shorebirds until the
fields start to dry up.  There were flocks arriving as I was there, a wonderful
sight.

Directions:
The 11th Line of New Tecumseth runs East & West North of Beeton.  From HWY 400
exit at HWY 88 north of the Holland Marsh & travel east to the 10th Sideroad
(the Beeton Rd).  Turn North or right & go through the town of Beeton to the
11th Line.  Turn West or Left & the fields start immediately on your right or
the North Side.  From HWY 9 go East from Orangeville to the Tottenham Rd (East
of HWY 50).  Turn North or Left & go through the town of Tottenham until you
reach the 11th Line.  Turn Right or East & the fields on the left are good, the
first field on the Right or South side is the only good field on the South side.