This afternoon, Josh Vandermulen and I had 3 Juv. Sabine's Gulls and 1
Juv. Long-tailed Jaeger from my Zodiac off Van Wagner's Beach in
Hamilton. All birds would have been visible from the Lakeland Centre
with a scope.

-------------

Thick-billed Kingbird: Ken Burrell, Mike Burrell, Josh and I arrived
at Presqu'ile at 615am, and were lucky to get the bird when it first
announced its presence (via a loud call) at 625am.

For Ken Burrell's photos, along with some back-story on the bird, see
his blog here: http://kenburrell.blogspot.ca/2012/08/thick-billed-kingbird.html

For Mike Burrell's photos, along with our full ebird checklist from
the location, see here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist?subID=S11465036

For my personal photos, see my blog here:
http://www.blog.peregrineprints.com/2012/08/thick-billed-kingbird.html

For Josh Vandermulen's photos, along with updates about his attempt to
set a new Ontario Big Year record, see his blog here:
http://joshvandermeulen.blogspot.ca/2012/08/crazy-day-with-two-year-birds.html

Many thanks to Bill Gilmour for an incredible bird! And thanks to Doug
McRae and Mark Ansell for helping get word to the birding population
quickly.

Brandon Holden

Directions:

Directions to Van Wagners Beach: Take the Centennial Parkway (Hwy.20) exit

from the QEW in east Hamilton and proceed north to the North Service Rd.,

turn left and continue west as it turns into Van Wagners Beach Road.

Continue to the parking lots at either Hutch's Restaurant or the Lakeland

Centre viewing tower and view the lake anywhere near here.

Directions:

The T-b Kingbird was seen in the trees near the first

cottage east of the Calf Pasture bridge (Where Atkins Land goes under

Bayshore Rd.).  It would be best if people would park at the Calf

Pasture Parking area rather than on Bayshore Rd. which can be busy and

has few options for parking.  To access Calf Pasture, enter the park

and stay on the park road.  It will become a one-way loop - follow

that past the lighthouse and in about 3 km you come to Atkins Lane, a

right only turn.  Follow Atkins till the end where you can park.  The

bird is about 100m east of the bridge, hanging around the trees near

the first cottage east of the bridge. Park maps are inside the free

newspaper they give out at the gate.