Ontbirders:

To add to your understanding and hopefully enjoyment of the Thick-billed
Kingbird that I hope you all have seen or will see, I am posting my
observations and thoughts on this bird’s age, sex, plumage and origins.****

** **

I, along with several others, had thought that the Thick-billed Kingbird
was an adult in worn plumage.  However, after consulting Peter Pyle's
"Identification Guide to North American Birds Part I",  and perusing the
number of excellent photographs posted on-line of this bird, I have come to
the conclusion that this is actually a hatch-year bird in pre-basic molt.***
*

** **

The extensive pale yellow of the lower belly and undertail coverts, along
with the brownish wings and uppertail coverts and greenish tone to the back
strongly suggests this age group.  Adults show less yellow with blackish
wing coverts and a mantle without the greenish tones.****

** **

Its gender is very difficult to deduce, especially for a hatch-year bird so
I will not hazard a guess, except that vagrants are often males and for
that matter, hatch-year birds.****

** **

Often, birds still in fresh juvenal plumage show little feather wear
leading one to think that it was worn adult.  The heavily abraded rectrices
(tail) and secondary / tertial / greater covert (flight) feathers of this
individual indicate it is in advanced molt from juvenal to pre-basic
plumage.  This molt is concluded on its summering grounds, which have now
become **Ontario** rather than its normal **Arizona** / ****Mexico****
 location!****

** **

It is likely that it will not resume any long distance travel until its
pre-basic molt is complete.  By the same token, it may have arrived in the
north-east some time ago, when its molt was much less advanced.****

** **

The Thick-billed Kingbird’s normal summer range stretches from extreme
south-eastern **Arizona** (mainly the Patagonia area) and south-western **New
Mexico**, south through **Mexico** to ****Guatemala****.  Most birds in the
**U.S.** and **Northern Mexico** start to move south in August and are gone
by mid-September.****

** **

This Kingbird is likely a reverse migrant, this occurs when its internal
navigational system is compromised and it migrates 180 degrees to its
normal direction i.e. north rather than south.  It may also have been
assisted by the clockwise movement of weather systems ahead of Tropical
Storm Isaac. ****

** **

You may recall the Black-throated Sparrow that made a brief appearance a
few years ago at the same time of year at Pt. Burwell.  This was also
likely too a reverse migrant.****

** **

If you would like to comment please e-mail me privately.****

Alfred Adamo