Hello Ontbirders,

The female "Tufted Duck" (has anyone beeen able to confirm that it is not a
hybrid?) is still present on the Ottawa River at Shirley's Bay, and continues
to move around with a large mixed flock of waterfowl. This morning (9:10 -
9:30) it flew in from the east side of the boat launch parking lot and landed
fairly close to the boat launch. Brian Mortimer & I were able to get good scope
views and it was still present when we left the scene. Most of the time it was
resting, occasionally lifting its head. Neither of us saw the wing pattern in
flight. The black on the "nail" (tip of the bill) appeared very restricted
compared to the adjacent Greater & Lesser Scaup, when all 3 spp. were in the
same view. The shape of the crown appeared quite flat when the bird "perked up".

A fine morning for waterfowl viewing on the bay! Several large rafts and
scattered individuals included : Canada Goose, Mallard, Ring-necked Duck,
Greater & Lesser Scaup, all 3 spp. of Scoter, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye,
Red-breasted Merganser, and 3 spp. of Grebe (the common ones! - I did not check
farther east along the river to see if the Western Grebe is still below
Deschenes rapids; it was last reported on 21 October -- any more recent reports?

DIRECTIONS:

>From downtown Ottawa: Hwy 417 west to exit 134 (Moodie Dr.). North on Moodie
>to Carling Ave. West on Carling to Rifle Rd. North on Rifle to the boat launch
>parking lot.

Good birding!
Chris Lewis
Ottawa, ON