On an afternoon walk, I was surprised and delighted to encounter a small flock,
all female, of five Pine Grosbeaks feeding at close range along Lingham Lake
Rd. near Cooper, north of Madoc.As an American recently moved up here, this was
my first time seeing this species in North America, compounding the treat!

To access the site, go north on Cooper Rd. from Hwy. 7, just east of the Madoc
intersection with Hwy 62. Just on the north end of Cooper the speed slows to
60kph; after that,make the first right on Lingham Lake Rd. The birds were
spotted about 8km in, just before the hydro cut and the Orgyan Dzong Buddhist
Retreat Centre.