At around 10am, there was a single Tundra Swan preening on a rock 20ft from
shore directly off Thickson's Point proper.

It was smaller billed and bodied than the Trumpeters, and only slightly bigger
than the CAGOs. Nearby Mutes were larger. It had a very small yellow spot on
the back corner of the bill on the right side only (from what I could see). If
they molt similarly to other swans it was probably a second-year bird.

Also seen in the general Thickson area:

3 Brant (off the Point)
1 Goshawk adult (prob F) being harrassed by a juv Harrier
1 Barred Owl
1 Long-eared Owl

Photos taken.

With only binos, I could not find the Eurasian Wigeon.

Directions:

>From the 401 at Whitby, take Thickson Road south right down to the
>turnaround/parking area near the lake. Do NOT drive into the private enclave
>of houses to the left.

To reach the Point, take the waterfront trail on foot and turn left at the
first green map sign. Be cautious of a muddy trail through a grass and brush
field. Head toward the lake and keep right. The trail travels along a
substantial cliff so be cautious. Follow this trial west for about 400m to
Thickson's Point.

Keith Linton
Orono, ONT