Terrie Smith, Peter Hogenbirk and I did the Niagara River today from
Niagara-on-the Lake (NOTL) to Fort Erie

Highlights:

Fish Crow - 2 or 3 birds at northwest corner of Fort Erie Race Track (near
Concession and Catherine Sts.) at 4-4:30 p.m. with about 1500 American Crows -
all birds flew out towards the river at about 4:30 p.m.
Slaty-backed Gull - one adult above the falls on the American side - Ian
Cannell and Norm Murr saw the bird earlier in the day at the same location and
refound it for us
Black Vulture - 3 at Queenston overlook on the American side
Turkey Vulture - 7 - same location
Purple Sandpiper - 4 near the barge on the "sandpiper" rocks
Little Gull - one juvenile at NOTL river mouth
Thayer's Gull - two subadults at Adam Beck
Iceland (Kumlien's) Gull - 9+ at Adam Beck - all age classes
Lesser Black-backed Gull - 2 at Adam Beck (first winter) and one adult above
the falls
Glaucous Gull - one first winter near the breakwall

POSSIBLE Mew (Short-billed) Gull - I found a juvenile bird above the falls on
the rocks near the breakwall -  this was a convincing looking first winter bird
that mimicked photo #22A.8 in Howell and Dunn's "Gulls of America" - we're
putting this out to alert birders so others can hopefully see it and confirm it
as a Mew Gull - we had the bird sleeping on the rocks and saw many, but not
all, of the salient field marks. As it was asleep during the lengthy
observation period (20+ minutes), we did not see the bill, lower breast, belly,
tail or legs, but clearly saw the head colour, back and sides coloration and
patterning, primaries coloration, upper breast colour and the smaller size of
the bird in comparison to immediately adjacent sleeping Ring-billed Gulls. Ian
Cannell and Norm Murr chanced by and also saw it and agreed with our assessment
of the bird. Notes will be submitted to OBRC for review.

Geoff Carpentier
www.avocetnatureservices.com