On a weekend visit to Ottawa, we went to a tree farm at the edge of the Larose
forest for the 2nd time in two days to look for Pine & Evening Grosbeaks that
were reported there - without luck. We continued into the forest, and about
halfway through, in an open area on the left, (N?) side of the road, I spotted
two large birds in a tree about 200 meters away. One bird flew almost
immediately, and it was an adult Golden Eagle. The bird that remained in the
tree had some white at the base of the tail. When it eventually flew, white at
the base of the primaries indicated a subadult bird.  Rhonnda got some decent
pictures of the second bird, both perched & flying. George Naylor & Rhondda
James Directions Larose Forest is near Limoges, south and east of Ottawa.
>From Ottawa, take 417E to the Limoges exit (Exit 79). Go N on Limoges Rd. (Hwy
>5) Limoges Rd curves to the right and becomes Saumure Rd. After you pass
>Beaver Line
Rd, near Cambridge Forest Estates, you enter the Larose Forest.  The house
where the Grosbeaks were reported is on the right. There is a Christmas Tree
sign at the driveway.  The house has numerous feeders, and lots of bird
activity.  Continue past the house about two Kms to where the eagles were
sighted.