From: ONTBIRDS [mailto:birdalert-boun...@ontbirds.ca] On Behalf Of yves
scholten
Sent: March-14-13 11:14 AM
To: birdalert@ontbirds.ca
Subject: Re: [Ontbirds] Bohemian Waxwings - Markham

9:15 am ..  Pringle Ave. Markham

Estimated count of 130 Bohemian Waxwings . Flock was calling and perching in
Red Maples and Black Pine, feeding on nearby crabapples and drinking
meltwater from melting snow on house roofs.

Pringle is north of Hwy 7, east of Markham Rd/Main St/Hwy48, West of 9th
Line

Thanks to Stan Long for the synopsis of the apple trees of this area!
(It's amusing to watch some of the birds trying to swallow whole apples a
wee bit too big for them!)

Cheers - good birding.
Yves

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Stan Long <stan.l...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> 3pm - 13.03.13 - my conservative estimate of a few minutes ago is that
> a flock of between
> 300/400 Bohemian Waxwings are feeding on small apples with which many
> of the trees that grow within this complex are loaded - under my nose
> at my front door they are feeding on juniper berries - they replace a
large flock of American Robins seen this morning.
>     This is a roaming flock and it should be noted that this area of
> Markham bordered by Hwy 407 to the south, Markham Road to the West,
> Ninth Line to the east and Sixteenth Avenue to the north contains a
> multitude of residential streets heavily planted with the variety of
> apple trees that grow very small fruit. As winter progresses this
> fruit shrinks to a size that can be swallowed whole by some bird
> species, the fruit as it matures also be- coming more nutritious with
> a buildup of vitamins - there is one Japanese species that owing to this
increase in vitamin content is poisonous to children - though this species
was banned as a street planting 20/30 or so years ago in Toronto.