A number of people have wondered about the lack of postings on the annual
major flight of Greater Snow Geese, which numbers in the tens of thousands.
This is distinct from the ongoing sighting of a small number of Lesser Snow
Geese in southern Ontario. The geese pulled a fast one on us. Our birds
arrive from western New York state below Lake Ontario with annually about
100,000 leaving there and heading downriver to Quebec. During the flight
peak, which is anywhere from mid to late March, about 1/2 to 3/4 stop over
in eastern Ontario for a period of time, some for only a day, and others
for up to 8 weeks. It used to be in early April years ago. I wonder if the
American spring hunt has progressively advanced the departure date in
recent years. This year is different from any that I can remember.

Virtually all of the birds have left New York with the major flight going
through between March 13-18 or so (we never saw it) despite mid-winter
conditions. While portions of the St. Lawrence had opened, there were no
open ponds in the counties and the ground had complete snowcover to a depth
sufficient to make it impossible to find leftover corn or short grass.
Subsequently, small to mid-sized flocks continue to be seen in flight but
sporadically and not in any particular location. Most reports were from
areas within a few kilometres of the river. There are currently no known
locations to observe the birds with certainty and for those so inclined,
the Long Sault Parkway remains closed with an unknown reopening date in the
spring. So far this year, the flight is almost exclusively a Quebec
phenomenon for birders but that may change in April.

To my knowledge, this situation has not happened before but knowing that
these strong fliers readily move 50 km and more on any given day to head to
feeding grounds, I expect that once the snow melts, fields flood (we have a
good amount of snow) and ponds open, some birds will wander back from
southwestern Quebec.

Brian Morin

Please note this e-mail for contact

brianlmo...@gmail.com