After a protracted delay with only smaller numbers to report, today the dam
broke and Greater Snow Geese flooded through the St. Lawrence River Valley.
Most seemed to pass through along the Ontario side of the river but some
headed downriver on the American side as well. All were coming from the
west roughly following Hwy 401 although some were over the river itself.
The flight likely began before 8:30 and by 11:00 Hans Van der Zweep and I
had counted about 15,000 from a couple of positions east of Summerstown (15
minutes east of Cornwall). Continuing east past Lancaster we headed to
Westney Point where birds congregate early in the migration. It seemed that
virtually all had descended onto the river and remained on ice floes in the
middle of the river, about a kilometre from shore. You could watch them
with binoculars but a scope was important today.  We watched additional
flocks of hundreds to 1200 bolster the numbers and virtually all descended
to the river, halting the migration. We did not see any birds on the river
further down to the Quebec border nor any birds on the river before this.

On the way back to Cornwall in the afternoon, along the river east of
Summerstown, we added thousands more, coming through in non-stop flocks of
dozens to hundreds and waves of up to 2000. By the end of the count at 3:00
we had over 50,000 for the day. At one point at this location, while
watching a Bald Eagle, we spotted a juvenile Golden high overhead. The bird
hung around for about 5 minutes then I watched it pull in its wings and
barrel towards an oncoming flock of Snow Geese. The birds broke formation
and scattered into a milling ball, this at an elevation of probably 1000
feet. There was no sign that the eagle connected with a goose. Early in the
day the geese were flying at a medium elevation then higher as the day
progressed and later in the day they were quite high.

Today's migration phenomenon will not be repeated to this extent. It is
clear that whatever birds were left upriver and in New York State were
seriously depleted. It may have been that the birds that left the area
south of Lake Ontario a couple of weeks ago did not fly by here until now.
They may have stopped for a time elsewhere in New York first then headed
out today.

We are still days away (the weekend at least) before fields of corn stubble
open up and longer for traditional ponds to melt. I can't say for sure what
the birds will do but many may remain in the vicinity of Westney Point for
a number of days before moving on in smaller flocks. If the fields open
enough before the weekend, then flocks will head north to feed and return
to the river to roost. There is a very extensive ice shelf in the area,
including further downriver, and ice is a big attraction for resting. They
prefer to be out of the water. It may take a week or more for the ice to
break up completely but as long as it holds there is a chance the birds
will stick around. After that they will move around quite a bit.

Brian Morin

Directions: Exit Hwy 401 at Lancaster. At the stop light at the end of the
exit ramp go straight, onto South Service Rd. Proceed 5 km to Westney
Point, where you can clearly see the river. The birds were on ice floes
today but may come onto the main ice edge as the floes continue downriver.