Good Afternoon Ontbirders:

It was a great morning for migrating geese here in Eastern Ontario.

In addition to ubiquitous Canada Geese – with a few Cackling Geese noted –
I saw 2000 SNOW GEESE at 0930 along Milton Road in the fields south of
Navan east of Ottawa.

Farther east in the Bourget/Cobb’s Lake Creek area around 1100, there were
many more SNOW GEESE in three concentrations:

- several hundred birds amongst CAGO on south side of Russell Rd east of
Bourget;

- at least 2000 on the north side of Russell Road (best seen from the berm
for the Prescott-Russell Recreational Trail at the seasonal trail/“Boileau
Road”); and,

- a third and far more substantial flock of at least 5000 birds – certainly
many more – viewed to the north and northwest of Lalonde Road at Cobb’s
Lake Creek.  This latter flock had a greater number of dark morphs.

In addition to the smaller groups of SNOW GEESE scattered amongst the
thousands of CAGO, there were easily at least 9000 Snow Geese in this area.

A few notes:  Boileau Rd north of Russell Rd was just passable late this
morning in my 4WD vehicle.  Given the mild temperatures and rain in the
forecast, it may be advisable to park safely on the side of Russell Rd and
walk 250m north to the berm.  There is also an access point to the
Recreational Trail about 2km to the east which should offer decent views.
As well, west of Rollin Road, Lalonde Road is best described as rough and
soggy in spots and is in fact flooded beyond Cobb’s Creek Lake.  And as a
final observation, I came across several bow hunters in the area who were
stalking – quite unsuccessfully – the Snow Geese.

Aaron Hywarren
OTTAWA