Hi Ontbirders:

While I was observing 100+ Common Redpolls at my backyard feeders this morning
in downtown Ottawa, I easily picked out a very pale Hoary Redpoll among them.
All the redpolls were jittery and very flighty and I soon saw why. A Copper's
Hawk flew into the midst of them as they wildly scattered. The Cooper's was
unsuccessful and sat in the pine tree thirty feet from my back door. After the
Cooper's flew off, only a few redpolls have returned to the feeder, but the
Hoary was among them.

Cheers

Peter Hall

Directions: Driving south on Bank Street through central Ottawa, cross the
Rideau Canal and pass Sunnyside Avenue. At the bottom of the gradual hill, look
for Chesley Avenue and turn right. Two blocks west and you will hit Wendover
Avenue. The feeders are at the back of 24 Wendover.  The Rideau River is a
block south.