Greetings Ontbirders,

This morning Bill Gilmour and I had a pretty impressive showing of big gulls from Owen Pt. at Presqu'ile. The birds were moving around quite a bit but were either on the tip of Owen Pt., the few remaining gravel bars offshore, or the east tip of Gull Island. In total we saw 4 Lesser Black-backs (3 ad., 1 2nd summer), at least 8 Iceland Gulls of all ages, at least 3 imm. Glaucous Gulls, plus a presumed adult or near adult "Nelson's" Gull - (Glaucous x Herring). Another gull showing some characters of an adult Thayers (black wingtips with extensive white, what looked like a dark eye) was seen on Gull Is. but mantle colour was the same as adjacent Herrings/Ring-bills so it likely has Iceland elements to it.

The Lesser Black-backs are especially interesting since the adults appear to be of both sexes, based on size and head shape, and the sub- adult was moving around with a small branch in its beak for 5 minutes.

Otherwise a fair number of species around but numbers of individual migrants remain low.

Cheers,

Doug McRae

Directions: Presqu'ile Provincial Park is on the north shore of Lake Ontario between Cobourg and Belleville. It is well signed from either Hwy 401 or Hwy 2.