Hello folks,
Well, we were a jovial band of 29 birders today for the annual spring outing to
the Islands. Weather conditions were cool with an afternoon high around 12
degrees. Winds overnight switched to a more northerly direction and so we were
left a bit disappointed with overall numbers of birds but the group was pleased
with the quality.
A total of 82 species for the day. We observed 14 species of Warbler. I think
all of our warblers with the exception of the elusive Common Yellowthroat
managed to be seen by everyone present at the time. American Redstart, Common
Yellowthroat, Yellow, Ovenbird, Black-Throated Blue (10), Black-Throated Green,
Black & White, Blackburnian, Northern Parula, Yellow-Rumped (30+), Nashville,
Chestnut-Sided, Palm and Cape May. We had two nice male Cape Mays on Hanlan's.
A Peregrine Falcon was observed adjacent to Snake island and sat in a tree for
us to have great looks. We managed to find five Scarlet Tanagers. Females and
males to study. Two bright males dazzled us at the Hanlan's ferry docks. The
group spotted a male Bobolink out on the grass by itself and gave us absolutely
stunning views for as long as we wanted to watch it. That was on Hanlan's as
well. We liked seeing the Purple Martins in their house behind the school,
Cliff Swallows flying around Centre Island. Tree, Barn and one Northern
Rough-Winged being observed on this day. Baltimore Orioles and Blue-Grey
Gnatcatchers allowed us to study them as they were present in good numbers.
Swainson's and Hermit Thrush, one Veery. Common and Caspian Terns. An obliging
pair of Horned Grebes on Ward's gave great views. House and Carolina Wrens.
Brown Thrashers and Gray Catbirds. Sparrows today: White-Crowned,
White-Throated, Song, Swamp, Chipping and Field. Plus some great looks at the
always pleasing Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks and Eastern Towhees. A pretty good day
for an admittedly "quiet" Island day for this date in time. Birds are never too
predictable or we wouldn't find it challenging!
Thank you to all that came out and spent the day. I enjoyed everyone's company
as usual and a big thank you again to Ian Cannell and Norm Murr for all their
help with the birds and assisting people to locate them.
Next OFO outing to the Islands is on Sunday, September 1. As the Happenings
sang in 1966 "See you in September; see you, when the summer's through".
Good birding,
Jay PetersonToronto
Directions:The Toronto Ferry Docks are located at the foot of Bay Street in
Toronto. Bay Street is on the east side of Union Station and from there it
takes Only about 10 minutes to walk south on Bay to the ferry docks. There is a
bus, but no longer a streetcar. The entrance to the ferry docks is on the south
side of Queen's Quay, just west of the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel. Parking
($15, I believe) is available 1 block north of the docks on the west side of
Bay, at Lakeshore. or, 1 block west of Bay, on the north side of Queens Quay.
or, 1 block east of Bay, on the south side of Queen's Quay, opposite the
Toronto Star building and adjacent to Captain John's Restaurant. There are
washrooms on the islands as well as at the city side at the ferrydocks. There
are water fountains throughout, should you want to refill your water bottles.
The Kitchen Table store opens at 6am and sells coffee and food. It islocated
across from the ferry docks, on the north side of Queen's Quay,about 100 metres
east of Bay. Food and beverages on The Islands are very expensive, e.g. soft
drinks $3.00and up, so I recommend that you bring beverages and food adequate
for the time that you expect to stay on the Islands