Hello Ontbirders,
I actually did make it to all three locales over this weekend. A chance to get
as many breeding birds as I could. My route kept me out of the rain except for
a drizzle this morning in Tobermory. Winds were stronger than usual which kept
some birds quiter than normal but I managed to observe 126 species over the
weekend. I may have gotten some more had I taken the time to visit Townsend and
the West Perth lagoons.
Highlights from Long Point: I got to Backus Woods at 5:45 and heard an Acadian
Flycatcher from the north end of the trail. I assume this is the usual breeding
bird but it wasn't calling later. From the south end on 4th Concession I walked
in towards the wet area usual for the Prothonotary but didn't hear it. A fellow
birder (Alain) was there and apparently did get the bird after I had fled from
the clouds of mosquitoes (worse than usual this year). We both heard at least
one Cerulean Warbler calling and I had 4 Hooded Warblers in the general area as
well. I did not hear a Louisiana Waterthrush nor am I aware if they still breed
in the woods a little closer to the first bridge on Concession 4. The road was
impassible with the ruts. I managed to get east on Concession 4 but got stuck
in the mud on the way out. So, beware. Not the best road this spring. Also
around the Long Point Area, both Yellow-Billed and Black-Billed Cuckoos in the
woods east of East 1/4 line. Pine Warblers were singing from a lot of spots
which was nice and Mourning Warbler in a couple spots. I wasn't holding out a
lot of hope for a lingering Ash-Throated Flycatcher at Old Cut but did check
the area and was not successful. My first trip to Long Point in June in a long
time not hearing Blue or Golden-Winged Warblers.
I then worked my way up birding along roadsides up to Goderich and then up
Highway 21 to Sauble Beach to see the Piping Plover looking nicely protected. I
had my fill of Savannah Sparrows, Indigo Buntings and Bobolinks on the drives
along country roads but nothing too noteworthy.
This morning I started in Tobermory and worked my way south. It was raining but
heard many warblers along the roads of the expected species and at least two
Yellow-Throated Vireos. One Canada Warbler and a singing Olive-Sided Flycatcher
on Emmett Lake road (20 mins south of Tobermory). Managed just one Brewer's
Blackbird north of Ferndale. I really tried to get something like a Western
Meadowlark or a Dickcissel checking most of the side roads but no luck this
year.
I then headed east through Collingwood, Orillia and over to Carden. I did not
spend a LOT of time there. Both Alvar and Wylie Roads are in really rough
shape. The potholes are all filled with water. Being there just a week ago with
Ian and Norm and it has gotten much worse. Still, people were getting through.
Just be careful. The Prairie Warbler is still singing along Alvar road in the
reported spot. I found 5 Golden-Winged Warblers and a couple in different areas
than usual. No Blue-Winged singing today. Clay-Coloured Sparrows (2), Vesper
Sparrow (1), Grasshopper Sparrow (14). I assume the wind and afternoon timing
was the reason for lower numbers. Upland Sandpiper on 4 different roads.
Wilson's Snipe. I hope someone hears a Sedge Wren or they might have to change
the name of that marsh! One Loggerhead Shrike. Ruffed Grouse (getting tough to
find everywhere), along Alvar road. I only drove Alvar road west of Wylie. I
didn't dare go east with the water.
Other birds observed outside these spots. Wild Turkey (10), Green Heron (3),
Common Nighthawk in Owen Sound. An enjoyable marathon of birding for me. I love
every minute I'm out there! Three great birding hotspots.
Good birding,
Jay Peterson
Toronto
and now some directions I will gladly steal from Norm Murr's detailed posts.

BACKUS WOODS NORTH OF LONG POINT

Backus Woods near Long Point is southwest of Hamilton and north of Port Rowan.
To reach it you can drive south on Hwy 6 from Hamilton, passing through
Hagersville and turning right, (west) in Jarvis onto Hwy 3, drive to Simcoe and
turn left (south) on Hwy 24 and follow this towards Hwy 59. About 2 km past
Norfolk Township East 1/4 Line Road or about 1 ½ km east or short of Hwy 59 is
the entrance to Backus Woods on the south side of the road (your left if you
came from the Hamilton direction). There is a small parking area just about 200
yards down this small road and there is a trail map in this location.

 4th Concession Rd is one road south of Hwy 24 off of Hwy 59.

This is a very buggy area in season, so be sure to take insect repellant also
be sure to lock your automobile door, etc.
OLD CUT WOODS AT LONG POINT

Old Cut Woods at Long Point is southwest of Hamilton, directly south of Port
Rowan. To reach it you can drive south on Hwy 6 from Hamilton, passing through
Hagersville and turning right, west in Jarvis onto Hwy 3, drive to Simcoe and
turn left, south on Hwy 24 and follow this to Hwy 59, ( it curves to the west
south of town) turn left, south on Hwy 59 and drive right down about 8 km and
past the golf coarse and you will be on the causeway (Long Point Rd).

Drive on across the bridge and continue past the marina on your left. The road
comes to Lake Erie where it curves to the left (Erie Blvd) through the cottage
/ retail business area. Continue driving until you come to Old Cut Road. Turn
left and drive a couple of hundred yards down this road (you will see the
entrance to the banding area on your right) this is the entrance to Old Cut
Woods. Drive another 100 feet or so and you will see a parking area on your
left. Park here and walk across the road to the woods.

NOTE: Be sure to lock your car and put your valuables out of sight).
Tobermory is at the north end of Highway 6 in the Bruce Peninsula. Ferndale is
about 40km south of that, also along Highway 6. Sauble Beach is along Highway
21 north of Kincardine.
DIRECTIONS AND INFO.

CARDEN ALVAR INCLUDING WYLIE ROAD / THE SEDGE WREN MARSH / PROSPECT ROAD ALONG
WITH A FEW AREAS SOUTHWEST OF KIRKFIELD

  Wylie Road is north of Kirkfield in Victoria County and Kirkfield itself is
on County Road 48 east of Highway 12 and well north of Whitby and about 130 km
from Toronto if you follow the roads and not a Crow.

>From the centre of Kirkfield go north on County Road 6 passing under the Lift
Lock on the Trent Canal and drive about 2 ½ km further north to where the road
curves left or west. On this curve and on your right is McNamee Road, turn
right here onto McNamee and drive east for about 300 yards and you will be at
Wylie Road. This road is about 9 ½ km long ending at Alvar Road (a T
intersection). Birding can be good on Alvar Road as well, either way.

The Sedge Wren Marsh is about 5 ½ km up Wylie Road, you can’t miss it as it has
the only bridge along the road. Park just to the south of and overlooking the
bridge and walk the road. Birding is good all along the road and I find that
the best birding happens when you park and walk both ways a km or two from your
auto.

This is a narrow road with little traffic but be sure to park in such a way as
to not block the road or at the gravelled parking areas that you will find at
several places along the road as you don’t want to rile up the locals. This is
all private property but there really is no need to leave the road, nor should
you. Please respect the property rights of the land owners.

Other roads to check in the area are Shrike, Curl’s, Dalrymple, Eldon Station,
Rockview, Doyle, Palestine, Creek View, and McNamee Road, etc.

PS

Down Rockview Road just west of Kirkfield on your right along County Road 48.
Past the dump road (on your right) you will come to a wet wood lot that
straddles the road. This is a great place for N. Waterthrush. We heard and saw
7 there on May 5/01 and May 4/02. We continue to find the N. Waterthrushes
here. Also along here you should find Upland Sandpiper and Grasshopper Sparrow.

Prospect Road Marsh

Continue south on Rockview Road to Eldon Station Road (the next road) turn
right (west) and drive to Prospect Rd. Turn right (north) and drive up to a
large marsh. Here you could find many Marsh Wrens along with Sora, Virginia
Rail, Common Moorhen,  American Bittern, Least Bittern and Green Heron and
watch for Osprey, Northern Harrier and Turkey Vulture. If you continue north on
this road you will come upon another small marsh and pond just short of County
Road 48. Of coarse most of the roads in this and the Wylie Road area can be
very productive and it is not a stretch saying you could spend a whole day in
the area, I have and do.

PPS

Wylie Rd south of the Sedge Wren Marsh is good for Upland Sandpiper, Vesper and
Grasshopper Sparrows and lots of Eastern. Bluebirds. North of the marsh are the
same birds and near the north end of the road watch and listen for Purple
Finch, Golden-winged Warbler and Clay-colored Sparrow.