A fairly large flight of swallows was noted over my house last evening moving
south ahead of the storm front that moved in about 8 p.m. Five species were
noted (missed Purple Martin which is virtually gone from Durham now) involving
about 225 birds.

Also two nighthawks moved through about 8:15 p.m.

My bluebirds are raising their second brood now and the bizarre relationship
with Pine Warblers continues. I first noted this in the fall of 2011, where the
Pine Warblers forage on the ground but only when the bluebirds are present and
hunting. Frequently I see the Pine Warblers in the trees, doing what they
should do, but often near the bluebirds. Watching? Also one of my hummers
apparently hates Pine Warblers as it chases it relentlessly when it sees it. Ah
the joy of watching the finer moments in birds' lives!

Nearest intersection: Lakeridge at Reach St.

Geoff Carpentier
www.avocetnatureservices.com