Betsy and I found a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER around 1:00 today at the sod
farm near Lowbanks, Ontario.  There were also 6 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS
nearby.  These birds were on the east side of Regional Road 65 (Hutchinson
Road), which runs between Highway 3 east of Dunnville to Regional Road 3 in
Lowbanks on Lake Erie.  They were about ½ km north of Poth Road.  This seems
to be the only turf in the area that is being actively removed so that there
are large patches of dirt as well.  This is in Haldimand County.  There was
also a PECTORAL SANDPIPER and about 20 KILLDEER here.

Also today, we had a DUNLIN  in first-basic plumage at Pinecrest Point.
This is on Lake Erie about 5 km east of Port Colborne.  This was and has
been the best beach for shorebirds in the area (which isn’t saying much).
Also here were 6 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, 6 SANDERLING, and 11 SEMIPALMATED
SANDPIPERS.  The only other shorebirds on Lake Erie between here and Rock
Point Provincial Park were two GREATER YELLOWLEGS at Long Beach.

Photos of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper and Dunlin can be seen here:

http://www.betsypottersart.com/willie-s-photos/2013-big-year/

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna