From: geneseebirds-l-boun...@geneseo.edu
[mailto:geneseebirds-l-boun...@geneseo.edu] On Behalf Of Connie Adams
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2013 4:36 PM
To: geneseebird...@geneseo.edu
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] waterfowl season

I would advise anyone who hasn't seen the Brown Booby in Buffalo Harbor yet, to
try to get out before this weekend.  Along with the change in the weather that
is upon us,  be aware  that Waterfowl hunting season opens in the Western Zone
(of NY) this Saturday.  The noise and increased number of boats with duck
hunters near Donnelly's  Wall usually pushes out the majority of the cormorants
in the Harbor, and they move south.   When they leave, I believe the Brown
Booby will leave with them.   Just a thought.  Since the Booby is a close
cormorant relative, I think she's comfortable with them, and will likely depart
the harbor when they do.

 For everyone who has been enjoying the bird watching in the Buffalo Harbor
from the observation tower, I hope I am wrong.    However, Once things quite
down in Mid-January, and the hunting season is over (January 12), don't forget
that this is an Important Bird Area, and the winter waterfowl viewing from that
tower in January is cold, but worth it.  NYS DEC employees count the waterfowl
weekly, and we get from 60,000-100,000-250,000 waterfowl at a time, from that
tower.   It's a fascinating winter activity, and the windier, and colder the
day, the better.  Our highest count came on a day when the wind was blowing 25
mph from the NW, it was snowing, and about 25 degrees.  That's when the
waterfowl will be in the River and piled into the harbor between Donnellys
Wall, and the Roundhouse and  Reef Lighthouse.