At approx. 3:50 p.m. today, I was stationed outside in my yard to see if there
was going to be a raptor "down flight" at the end of the day. A small loon
approached from the northeast, then it flew due west towards me, circled
slightly to the northwest and then headed due south and out of sight. I watched
it, with unobstructed views, for about 75 seconds with binoculars and briefly
through my scope. The distance was estimated to be about 110 meters
horizontally at the closest point and 100 meters vertically.

It was a basic plumaged adult Pacific Loon, based on the sharpness of the
necklace, the immaculate white face and breast and dark back and crown. The
smaller size, shorter heavy-necked appearance, the shorter legs (indicated by
how far they extended beyond the tail), dark back, well delineated border
between the nape and the front of the neck, slower wing beat and posture (it
held its head horizontal throughout the observation period) variously ruled out
both Common and Red-throated Loons.

Earlier in the day I saw 2 Red-throated Loons and 8 Commons although they were
all much further away and were flying much higher.

Other birds of interest today were 2 Merlins, 10 Red-tails, 1 Northern Harrier,
2 Cooper's Hawk, and 3 Sharp-shinned Hawks. Bluebirds, meadowlarks and hundreds
of blackbirds were on the move this morning as well.

Nearest intersection - Lakeridge at Reach., Scugog Twp.

Geoff Carpentier
www.avocetnatureservices.com