Monday, Oct.28, at CMRW in southwest Whitby was an exciting day. 7 hours of
rising BP, good thermals, temp. of 8C with very strong N winds dictated a
good number of migrating hawks, many being pushed out over the lake before
returning over the heads of up to 30 viewers.
I do not have the final figures, but here is an approximation--over 500
migrating raptors included 220 Turkey Vultures, 1 Osprey, 30
Sharp-shinneds, 1 Cooper's, 2 Merlins, 3 Red-shouldered, 2 Rough-leggeds,
280 Red-tailed, 3 Bald Eagles and 3 Golden Eagles.
On the marsh were 13 duck species, 2 Greater Yellowlegs and 1 Pectoral
Sandpiper. Near our platform were 30 or more Rusty Blackbirds. Flying
through we saw 12 SNOW BUNTINGS and 20 Bonaparte's Gulls.

CMRW is reached by traveling south down Hall's Rd. (1 block east of
Lakeridge Rd.) from Victoria St. in southwest Whitby. to the second parking
area just north of the lakefront.

Doug Lockrey, Whitby, ON