The first winter female Common Eider that I observed late yesterday
afternoon at the entrance to the Fifty Point Marina, evolved into a same
aged female King Eider first thing this morning, after I viewed it with Rich
Poort and Karl Dix close to the rocks on the east side of the point. There
were some things however about the bird that bothered me even though I
clearly saw the typical nostril position/feather extension on the side of
the bill of a female King Eider. Bill colour and shape and body plumage
colour, among other things, were more appropriate for a female Common Eider.
As I was watching the duck with Barb Charlton, Len Manning, Lisa Teskey,
David Pryor, Dave and Rebecca Flook, Garth Riley and Mourad Jabra, it
started to dawn on me that this female might be a King x Common Eider hybrid
as it showed mixed characters.

I obtained some  photos with my small camera. Barb, Len, Garth and Mourad
took a number of photos with bigger lenses, some at quite close range, and
they will be examined later.

I want to correct the error from yesterday and point out how fascinating
this duck is to me. I have observed only one such apparent hybrid before,
that a male at Cape Spear, Newfoundland in January 2008. The intermediate
characters on that bird were quite striking, obviously less subtle than on
the Fifty Point bird.

Kevin McLaughlin.

To reach Fifty Point, take the QEW to the Fifty Road exit and go north to
the North Service Road. Turn right here and go a short ways on the curving
road to the first left (Lockport). Go a very short ways to Baseline Road and
turn right. Take this several hundred metres to the entrance to Fifty Point
Conservation Area. Turn left into the easternmost entrance. Go past the
gatehouse (no attendant now and the honour system is in effect during the
week). Turn left at the "T" next to the big pond. Follow this road north. It
will curve right and go past the marina then the woods/creek. Turn left at
the stop sign and proceed to the lake. There will be a small parking lot on
the left and a larger one to the right.