Ontbirders,

This morning, at Pittock Lake, I observed an adult male Merlin with
characteristics suggestive of a Richardson's - pale cheek, pale powder
blue-gray mantle, paler rump and crown and sparsely streaked underparts with a
clean white background colour, lacking buff tones on the flanks and undertail
coverts.

For a Merlin, it was certainly acting strangely - perching along the waters
edge [and sometimes in the water] and making a few quick aerial stabs into the
shallows. Fishing, by the looks of it although I have never seen this behavior
in this species.

Other Pittock birds of note were 5 Cackling Geese with the thousands of
semi-resident Canada's. Waterfowl, in general, are trickling back to the lake
after being forced out after a freeze-up a few weeks ago.

Cheers,

James Holdsworth, Biological Consulting Services
14 Marian St,
RR#1 Woodstock, On, N4S-7V6
[519]537-2027
226-228-1428 [cell] - note - NEW