Hi Folks

I'm still waiting for reports from 2 sections but here is a preliminary report.

The snowfall on December 14th resulted in some participants having difficulty
getting out of their driveways and some secondary road were not ploughed in
count areas.  That and a lower turnout of participants due to illness presented
a few challenges. Some sections reported lower than average numbers and species
while other sections had a pretty good day.

The count was held on Sunday December 15th. An estimated 32 counters and 1
feeder watcher participated in the St. Catharines CBC. We counted 81 species
(slightly above average) and 13,654 individuals (below average).

A few highlights:

Turkey Vulture - 1st record!
Black-legged Kittiwake - 4th record
Surf Scoter - 5th record

High counts - 3 Snowy Owls (record high count); 51 White-crowned Sparrows
(record high count);

Low counts : Mute Swan (2); Common Goldeneye (42); Hooded Merganser (6);
Red-breasted Merganser (45); Great Blue Heron (1); Bonaparte's Gull (2);
Herring Gull (49); American Crow (46); Black-capped Chickadee (128); Northern
Mockingbird (16); European Starlings (1795); House Finch (157); American
Goldfinch (157);

Warmest regards
Marcie Jacklin