The  37th Vankleek Hill CBC was held December 29th, 2013.
Cloud  cover was heavy and winds were from the NE at 20 kph.
Few  open areas were found on the Ottawa River.
The  16 field observers and 49 feeder watchers counted 42 species and 3778
individual  birds.
The  number of species was higher than our 37-year average of 40, but the
total individuals was lower than our average of 5383.
No  new species were found on count day so the all-time species list
remains at 95.
Record  highs:
Snowy  Owl 6 (previous high 5 in 1991)
Pileated  Woodpecker 8 (previous high 7 in 2006)
Tied  record highs:
White-crowned  Sparrow 6 (2004)
Interesting  species:  Gray Partridge 5,  and Lapland Longspur 6.
Thanks  again to all the counters we had this year.
Christine  Brunet
CBC  Compiler