Ontbirds subscribers,

Since my last update in early January, an additional six species have been
added to the 2013-2014 Ontario winter list bringing the total to 193. In the
six previous years an average of 204 species have been reported during the
winter period. 193 is currently the second lowest total.
Here are the details on the six new species, some of which I had somehow
neglected to add to the list from previously, and others that have been
discovered in the province for the first time since the last update.
Clark's Nutcracker - seen briefly at a bird feeder in Essex on December 26,
2013.  Pomarine Jaeger - An intermediate morph juvenile was seen by several
birders during the Hamilton CBC on December 26, 2013.  Red Phalarope - found on
December 1 near the lookout by the barge above Niagara Falls; continued for
several days.  Boreal Owl - several have been reported in a few locations in
central Ontario in January and early February.  Spotted Towhee - one coming to
a bird feeder in the town of Glen Williams, Halton Region. It was reported on
January 18, 2014 and had been coming to the feeder since at least December 13,
2013; it is still present.  Fish Crow - one heard as it flew east along the
Stoney Creek shoreline on February 3, 2014.
I have created a spreadsheet in Google Docs where the list can be found. The
link to the list is:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApeLiIuFO8cfdHVxejFKUWptak9Bckc3czJhQ3hzeEE&usp=sharing
Some of the notable misses so far include Eurasian Wigeon, Virginia Rail,
Black-headed Gull, Slaty-backed Gull,  Townsend's Solitaire, and Hoary Redpoll.
As always, please send me an email if you know of a sighting of one of the
missing species from between December 1, 2013 and now. Additionally, please let
me know if you see any errors in the species list of the spreadsheet, which is
supposed to only contain species that have been reported during the winter
birding period (Dec 1 to Feb 28/29) in Ontario. Some species (i.e. Broad-winged
Hawk, Orchard Oriole, etc) I am unsure if there are any winter period records.
Good birding,Josh

Josh Vandermeulen
Schomberg, Ontario

joshvandermeu...@live.ca