OFO is offering an all-day workshop at Presqu'ile Provincial Park on
Saturday, March 29 focused around migration of waterfowl and other
waterbirds at Presquile Prov. Park. This workshop is for young birders age
11 - 18 with some birding experience who want to learn more!

The workshop will be led by Peter Burke, Doug McCrae and Bill Gilmour.

The workshop will focus on the identification of both diving and puddle
ducks, and discuss some tips for identification of some of the tougher
groups. We will also use some finer points of identification such as
behaviours, calls  and digiscoping to take a closer look. Other topics will
include useful monitoring skills such as counting large numbers of birds,
how to take good field notes, and using e-bird to organize your sightings,
and optics that are useful for birders.

We will learn about how birders can contribute to Ontario's ornithological
knowledge through modern tools such as e-bird and the internet, as well as
the importance of specimens. This includes a demonstration on specimen
preparation by Doug McRae, whom has prepared 100's of specimens for
important collections

such as the ROM and Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa.

Start:  Meet at the Camp Office in Presqu'ile Provincial Park. Workshop
begins at 9:00 AM with early birding at the feeders starting at 8:00 AM.

Morning: workshop and birding in the park.

Lunch: Pizza lunch at 1:00 PM courtesy of OFO

Afternoon: Skinning demonstration and field drawing workshop at Doug
McCrae's house in Brighton, Ontario.

Birders are encouraged to bring along cameras, telescopes, field notebook,
pencils, cell phones with birding apps, their favourite bird field guide(s)
and anything else they wish to use or share with the group.

Remember to dress in layers as the wind off the lake is cold, even if it is
a warm day on the mainland. Wear warm boots. Please bring warm drinks and
snacks.

Space is limited so if you are interested, please register by emailing
Lynne Freeman at lynne...@gmail.com. Please let me know if you are outside
the age range and we can see if we can make allowances.