Birders,

Hello to you.

The aforementioned hybrid being quite unusual, I thought I would post an
update on this bird. Mark Jennings had posted about this bird a week ago or
so and while Joanne Redwood and I were at Bronte Harbour this afternoon, we
ran into Mark and he showed us this bird.
Joanne was able to get some photos and circulate them and the consensus is
that the bird is indeed a Canvasback X Redhead Hybrid. The bird is a male
and basically looks like a dull Canvasback, with a Redhead bill and has
some other mixed features.
I have some photos for those so inclined.

The Hybrid has been associating with Redheads and today was viewed from the
west pier, looking into the harbour.

While you are there, look for the Snowy Owl and female King Eider, which
were also present today.

Directions:

Exit the QEW at Bronte Rd. (Oakville) and go to the lake and turn left
on Ontario - the only way you can go!

Park in the lot and walk west to the pier which you can walk out on.

Len Manning

Hamilton, ON