About 80 participants enjoyed a beautiful spring day in Algonquin Park
today, with the entire group encountering a total of 52 species. Our main
goal was to see the boreal species plus as many other birds as we could
find. Widespread knee-deep snow limited where we could go but we lucked
out in the accessible places available.

A displaying male Spruce Grouse near an "indifferent" female north of the
register box on Spruce Bog Boardwalk was a life species for a number of
people and a highlight for everyone.

A male and a female Black-backed Woodpecker were observed excavating a nest
cavity in the first telephone pole west of Spruce Bog Boardwalk.

Vocalizing Boreal Chickadees were noted in the black spruce section of
Opeongo Road, on Spruce Bog Boardwalk, and along Highway 60 just west of
Spruce Bog Boardwalk.

Gray Jays were seen near the northern bridge over Costello Creek and farther
north in the black spruce section of Opeongo Road.

First sightings for this spring in Algonquin Park included:
-Wood Duck: five at the Little Madawaska
-Red-breasted Merganser: male at Smoke Creek with Common Mergansers
-Merlin: male at Harkness Lab on Opeongo Lake
-Belted Kingfisher: female along Costello Creek
-Bohemian Waxwing: four perched in a dead tree a little east of the West
Gate
-American Tree Sparrow: Opeongo Road

As usual, it was great fun to spend the day birding with such an
enthusiastic group. I would like to thank everyone who helped find and
identify birds today, and in particular Kevin Clute and Justin Peter for
their assistance on the trip.

Ron Tozer
Dwight, ON

DIRECTIONS:

Algonquin Provincial  Park is three hours north of Toronto, via Highways
400, 11 and 60. Follow the signs which start in Toronto on Highway 400.
>From Ottawa, take Highway 17 to Renfrew, then follow Highway 60 to the
park. Kilometre markers along Highway 60 in the Park go from the
West Gate (km 0) to near the East Gate (km 56).