Today the watch lasted 9 hours form 5:30 am to 2:30 pm when the rain started. One flock of 45 Whimbrels was seen at 2:15 pm just the rain was starting: they flew in low from sse, circled the point then landed somewhere down along the sw end of the peninsula. There was no one there hiking or walking their dogs so I just let have a little rest. Also seen were two peeps; one small flock 6 Dunlin; one mix flock of 24 Dunlin and 5 White-rumped Sandpiper. Yesterday, four Whimbrels were counted in 11.5 hours of observation. Also recorded was a flock of 4 Ruddy Tunestone and two Lesser Yellowlegs. The watch continues until 30 May. The Whimbrel has the narrowest window of spring migration than any other North American shorebird, with over 60% passing from 24 to 26 May in most years.

Location: The park is located at the south end of Colonel Samuel Smith Drive off the south end of Kipling off Lakeshore Boulevard. Our observation site is on the highest point on the headland about an 8-10 minute walk from the parking lot following the central trail.

Wayne Renaud (for Tim McCarthy and Don Barrnett)