I paid an early morning visit today to Prospect and Wylie Roads. Interesting
birds on Prospect Road were a LEAST BITTERN (heard only), GRASSHOPPER and
CLAY-COLOURED SPARROWS, a GREEN HERON, and an OSPREY on its impressively large
nest built on top of a steel tower just south of the second house on Prospect
Road. Prospect Road runs south from Regional Road 48, about 4 km west of
Kirkfield.

At Wylie Road, I had at least two, probably three SEDGE WRENS just south of,
at, and just north of the bridge that is 5.4 km north of McNamee Road. Along
the Sedge Wren Trail that starts a few hundred metres south of the bridge I
heard 2 SANDHILL CRANES, a WINTER WREN, and where the trail first approaches
the water, a great look at a VIRGINIA RAIL. At the beaver dam section of the
trail, there were 2 COMMON SNIPE. There were three calling BLACK-BILLED CUCKOOS
in the general area of the marsh, plus one which I saw at the Windmill Ranch,
where I also saw 1 LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE.

Finally, I had 5 UPLAND SANDPIPERS (1 by box 87 on Wylie Road, 3 along the
Kirkfield Road between Kirkfield and McNamee Road, and 1 along Regional Road 48
at Rockfield Road.

Prospect Road, Wylie Road and other birding locations in the Carden Alvar are
described in Ron Pittaway's excellent "Carden Alvar Birding Guide" at
http://www.ofo.ca/site/page/view/articles.cardenalvar.

Returning home, I had a BLUE-WINGED WARBLER and a CLAY-COLOURED SPARROW near
the East Duffin Headwaters on Westney Road (Conc. 6 if coming from the Goodwood
Road) 0.7 km north of the Uxbridge-Pickering Township line.

Mark Kubisz,
Scarborough, ON