Holiday Beach Conservation Area
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 13, 2014

Turkey Vulture               9            107            107
Osprey                       0             11             11
Bald Eagle                  11             46             46
Northern Harrier             2             49             49
Sharp-shinned Hawk         432            815            815
Cooper's Hawk                2             36             36
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk          204            436            436
Red-tailed Hawk             10             65             65
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            13            121            121
Merlin                       0             18             18
Peregrine Falcon             1              4              4
Unknown Accipiter            0             11             11
Unknown Buteo                0             15             15
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              1              1
Unknown Raptor               0              8              8

Total:                     684           1743           1743

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Cindy Isenhoff, Jenna McDermott

Observers:        Bob Pettit, Chris Craft, Donny Moore, Dorothy McLeer,
                  Jenna McDermott, Jim McCoy

Visitors:
The first day of Festival brought many visitors to the tower once the
weather cleared a bit.  It was nice to see some of "the regulars" and meet
many new faces today.  Thanks to all who helped to make our first day of
Hawk Festival 2014 a success! Special thanks to all the vendors, sponsors,
HBMO members and partners in Hawk Festival!  We couldn't do it without you.

Weather:
Today was "Brisk" for mid September!  The overnight rain stopped just in
time for our count to begin.  Temperatures ranged from a low of 11.5C to a
late afternoon high of 15.3C.  Cloud cover was complete for much of the
morning keeping our hawks from getting an early start.  For the first
several hours of the count we had very few breaks in the cloud cover.  As
the afternoon wore on we had partly sunny skies most of the time.  Winds
started from the NNW and through the day shifted between W and some
components of W and N.

Raptor Observations:
Once the hawks started to move today proved to be our highest count day so
far this season.  We had a total of 9 species, Sharp-shinned and
Broad-winged hawks making up the majority of the count today.  Bald Eagles
are definately migrating as well, we counted 11 migratory birds today.  Our
resident Bald Eagles and local Osprey kept watchers entertained between the
migrant birds.

(There was a late movement of Broad-winged hawks and several more Bald
Eagles after the official count ended today--67 & 5 respectivley)

Non-raptor Observations:
Notable non raptors today were:  15 White Pelicans, 2 Caspian Terns,
American Goldfinch in flocks of 12 to 30 individuals visable most of the
morning, 6 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, 2 Chimney Swifts, and a personal
favorite of mine, one Nighthawk.  Other non raptor sighting will be listed
on ebird.  Very few Monarchs today and no dragonflies from the tower...the
wind was just too strong.

Predictions:
Sunday morning looks to be a good one.  Partly sunny turning to full sun
before noon.  Winds start with a northerly component but will shift
throughout the day.  Temps about the same as today, but the sun will make
it feel warmer!  Get there early!
Report submitted by Cindy Isenhoff (akahawkla...@aol.com)
Holiday Beach Conservation Area information may be found at:
http://hbmo.ca/