This message has been approved by the forum moderator.

Hi folks,

It's fall again, and that means another early October session is bound to
take place in Hamilton. On October 4th, I will be leading the OFO trip for
the Hamilton/Burlington area.

I have some big shoes to fill, as the venerable Tom Thomas is passing the
torch on to me this year.

A lot of folks have been asking about the "Jaeger portion" of the trip, so
I would like to address this before the trip begins. Jaegers in Hamilton,
though regular at the west end of Lake Ontario, are still specialty birds
and typically require certain conditions. East and North-East winds are
best but North winds can also be good.

The trip will begin at 8AM( I will be at the beach an hour early) at Van
Wagner's Beach at Hutch's, and if the conditions are prime, (E, NE) winds,
we will stay on the beach for approximately an hour or so to check for the
Jaegers and other specialty birds. If the conditions are anything other
than E, NE winds, we will IMMEDIATELY begin the trip with very little time
spent watching the lake, rather we will walk the beach and go east along
Barranga's.

Another note regarding Nelson's Sparrows. I know trips in the past have
enjoyed this species as an end of day treat, but access is no longer
permitted in the traditional area of the Dundas Marsh, and as a result,
under no circumstances will be be going to this site so look for this
species.

Hope to see you all on Saturday. If you have questions, please call my toll
free birding info line at 289-456-6502

Len Manning