Andrew Keaveney's note re the recently sighted hybrid Lesser x Ross's Goose
in Ottawa is an alert not only for that individual but for all small white
geese. When I looked at the picture posted of that bird, my first thought
was that it was almost certainly a hybrid. I have seen 5 hybrid geese in
Eastern Ontario since 2013, including two yesterday. They were mostly
adults. But I've only seen 2 Ross's Geese. While that is just my personal
experience it does send a message that one must exercise caution when
trying to identify these smaller birds.

My observation: At first glance they appear to be Ross's based on size but
they are a bit larger if side by side comparison with Ross's is possible
and I have had that good fortune on two occasions. I have also photographed
them so I have been able to check in detail after the fact. The head
profile is more like a Lesser Snow Goose than that of a Ross's which is
clearly seen if you get a good look at the bird, but the bill is noticeably
smaller than a Snow Goose yet larger than Ross's. Of course the bird is
also smaller than a Lesser Snow Goose which is the subspecies seen in
Southern Ontario.

The important point is that birders need to know that this third
alternative even exists and most don't. While Ross's sightings in the east
have increased over the years and will likely continue to do so, the number
of hybrids being seen in the east will at least keep pace with the pure
Ross's we see in migration. The population of Lesser Snow Geese in the
eastern Arctic has increased in the last few years to the point where we
are now seeing pure flocks of thousands in spring migration after the main
migration of Greater Snow Geese. While I don't know how the Ross's
population is doing there (this is a western species for the most part),
the opportunity for hybridization is increasing so this challenge will not
diminish over time.

A final note. The Ottawa bird was a juvenile hybrid between a Ross's Goose
and a white Lesser Snow Goose. One of the birds I saw yesterday was a
hybrid involving a dark morph Lesser Snow Goose. Dark morphs are a
significant percentage of the Lesser Snow Goose population compared with
Greater Snow Geese so observers in Eastern Ontario should also be checking
for small mostly dark juvenile hybrids mixed in with Snow Goose flocks.

Brian Morin
Cornwall