On Sunday, a small group of enthusiastic birders led by Maris Apse started at the Grand Bend beach and faced strong west winds and large waves. There were very few ducks flying about but we did see several Co. Loons flying over and an adult Bald Eagle. Unfortunately, the Grand Bend sewage lagoons are under construction so we had to skip one of the usually more productive sites on the route. Pinery Provincial Park was very quiet, but there was a very cooperative American Redstart by the visitor center and a Red-tailed Hawk that posed very low in a tree for photos. There were very few birds at Kettle Point because the usual roosting spots for birds were covered with the high water. Two Killdeers were still hanging around. After most people had left we managed to scare up one lone Snow Bunting on the shore.

The final tally was 47 species.

reported by Michael Nelson for Maris Apse