Hi Ontbirders:
This afternoon while cross-country skiing at the Mer Bleue bog east of Ottawa,
I encountered a male Black-backed Woodpecker. It was working on a 30-foot high
tree stump about 10 metres from the ski trail. I got to watch it for about 15
minutes before it flew off to a tree further away. This may have been the same
bird that was reported back in December in the area.
Directions: From Highway 417 take Anderson Road east to Ridge Road. Turn right
and follow this road until it ends at the Mer Bleue parking lot. Take the trail
that runs west along the south side of the ridge (marsh on the left) for about
500 metres.
Good birding
Peter Hall